Why are games important?
We all know that practicing math facts is necessary, and games are a fantastic way to get the job done. In fact, it can be said that games are to math as books are to reading. However, they should be more than just a glorified version of flashcards; they must be designed to teach. When playing RightStart’s math card games, students get immediate feedback from their peers or from the game itself, increasing their proficiency.
So, how do you help your students play more math games?
- End each math lesson with a game
- Use ten minutes before or after recess/lunch or before dismissal to play a game
- Encourage your parents to play math card games at home**
- Use games and other activities to challenge your students, especially your early finishers. In addition, you can provide your students with tangram puzzles and geometry net cards for engaging and educational supplemental learning activities.
Do you want a way to assess student progress as they play the math card games? Click here to learn how.
**We can help you get the math card games kit into the hands of your parents at a discounted price! Contact us to find out how!
Parent Game Night Experience
Help your parents understand the value of playing card games at home by having a parent night at your school.
Parent Game-Night Options:
- We can come to your school and help you lead the parent night. You only need to cover our travel expenses.
- Teachers can oversee the tables and help parents learn how to play the games.
- Students can oversee the tables and teach the games.
Encourage attendance by choosing a fun theme:
- Parents-only Hors D’oeuvres Night (wine and cheese, etc.)
- Casino Night (decorate the room like a casino)
- Family Fun Night (all family members and friends are invited)
Game Instructions Available on Video
Finally, are you interested in learning how to play the games quickly? We have video instructions on how to play every game used in the RightStart Math curriculum. We have game instructions on video! Feel free to view a sample of them. For more information about the year-long subscription, click here.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you have a fabulous school year!
Your math partners,
Teresa, Rachel, Kathleen, Maren